A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

First Five Shots from a Box Camera

I piked up a Kodak Brownie Number 3 for $7 about two months ago. It had a 124 film spool in it, but no paper or film. Two weeks ago I shared some images of D.C. trolley cards that I developed. Those negatives came on a 122 spool that I bought for the spool and paper backing. After I developed the trolley car images, I spooled some 35mm film onto the 122 backing just to see if the box camera works. Here are the results.

High tension tower. I tried, with each frame, to estimate the camera's panoramic effect (due to the negatives being much less wide than 124 film) and line up the images appropriately. Sometimes it didn't work.

A tree with Mt. Diablo and Eagle Peak in the background.

I mined up this electrical tower better than the other.


I had the most hope for this shot and it turned out, I think, the best of the lot. In all, it's a decent result that does as good a job as can be done of capitalizing on the panoramic format.

Another I had high hopes for. I just set it down and did a time exposure for about three seconds, I think. The lens has good resolving power and nice contrast. For a camera made in the early 1920s, it really holds its own. If you'd like to see more about this camera and this model of camera, here's the YouTube video I made about the Kodak Brownie Number 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment