A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Found Photos Friday: 1960s Americana 2

A number of weeks ago I posted some videos in an entry titled 1960s Americana 1. These 8mm videos came with about 400 slides, unorganized, and covering what appears to be almost 30 years of family history. The photos include Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Beverly Shores, Indiana; suburban Chicago, Illinois (it looks like Joliet to me, but I'm not sure); and Tucson, Arizona. The images include family reunions, holidays, weddings, a son going off to Vietnam (most likely), and many people repeated throughout the images.

In the coming weeks I'll post five at a time and try to keep the images together and of the same vintage, progressing forward in time as the weeks also progress. This week's images appear to be of similar vintage, on similar film, in similar slide mounts, and with similar age damage to the slides. In the photos where the people look like marble statues, that happened because of the slide color degradation due to age. It's a new effect for me and one that I find jarring, visually off-putting, and amazing.


This is actually my favorite shot in the whole collection.



Person turned to stone by age. And Medusa.





I find this one especially strange because of the stone angel in the background. It looks basically the same as the people.


No comments:

Post a Comment