A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Saturday, December 24, 2011

One Camera, One Lens, One Roll of Film, 365 Days

A few months ago I accepted a job in San Francisco. This affords me about 45 minutes per day to stroll my neighborhood and photograph the city. I've done nothing of consequence with this blog, so for 2012 my goal will be to take a different camera, lens, and film combination to the city. Each weekend I'll develop the film and blog about the results. Insomuch as possible, I'll list the shutter speed, aperture, and any special photographic considerations.

This year's goal will be to expand appreciation for film photography and, with luck, help preserve an art form that is at serious risk. Previous art forms have lead to new art form, e.g., painting to photography. Film photography has led to digital photography. Had photography killed painting, people could make their own paints at home and continue the art. Film cannot be made at home and if film production ceases so, too, will an entire art form. I can think of no other art form that could become extinct and never be practiced again.

I'll provide a background blog about each camera (sometimes after that camera is used) and, when possible, about the lenses. If the film is noteworthy, I'll discuss it, too. With luck, in a year, we will both know much more about film photography and how to capture exceptional images.

No comments:

Post a Comment