A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Large Format Smokehouse Ruins

Back in April, I visited Round Valley Regional Park in Brentwood, California, with my Pentax K-7 and a few lenses. At the time, I identified an old stone house along Marsh Creek. On my trip in May, I met a park ranger who told me locals said the stone building was a smoke house, but he didn't know anything more about it than that.

I managed four shots worth sharing from the trip. My goal was mostly to learn about the camera. I attempted one mega macro, extending the Calumet's bellows the full 22 inches. This led to the five-inch width covering about a half inch of real space -- an in-camera 10X macro. Maybe more or less (I didn't measure the subject.) Anyway, the macro didn't turn out, but it's good to know that I have mega macro capacity in my camera all the time.

Another goal was to try some tilts and swings. Here are the first results. For a lens, I have one large-format lens, a Caltar 165mm in a Seikosha SLV shutter. The lens is amazing with substantial movement available and very sharp rendering. The shutter is great with no discernible movement, a very pleasant sound, and reliable times. For film, I used Lucky 100 and Arista 100. I also shot four images on Rollei Orthochromatic ATO 2.1 but have not developed them yet (I just mixed some XTol tonight, though, so those images are likely coming in a future entry.


Testing out a standard shot but at f32 or 45 to obtain the deepest field marked on the shutter. The shutter actually closes down to about f165, and I tried a shot at that aperture. However, I didn't have a very deep range when I tried that, so it's hard to see the difference between f165 and f22. So I'll have to try that again in the future.


This was at the maximum aperture -- f6.3. It's shallow because of the aperture, not because of any Sheimplung-type trickery.


This one, however, is super-shallow due to Sheimpfulng-type trickery. Basically, I went craxy with the shifts and tilts.


I shot this at f8, f22, and f165. This is the best because it's the least blown out of the three. I accidentally made the Ilfosol-3 too strong for the Arista batch, and all the negatives were over developed about a stop and a half. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment