A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Monday, July 1, 2013

Flowers Simplified

I may have mentioned before that I'm part of a Google+ group for weekly black and white photography assignments. A few weeks ago we had a plants and flowers assignment. I picked a few individual buds from neighborhood plants and tried a low-key take on the project. Pollen was a problem, but the overall effect worked well.


For this shot, I illuminated the trumpet with my cell phone's flash light. That gave the flower a bit of luminescence that works well.





For this, I made the yellows dark and green lighter. That resulted in the pollen grains standing out on the leaf and flower petals.


A simple, single sprig.


Flower inside flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment