A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Bowling

Today I won't have a narrative to share, just photos from the company bowling team's outing a few weeks ago. These were low-light, high-ISO shots -- a combination I'm not a fan of. I admit I've warmed to it since last year, but I don't think that the Pentax K-7 is capable of suitable shots north of ISO 1,000. Beyond ISO 400 it becomes hard to tell if I missed focus or if the image is just soft from the ISO compensation algorithm.

Shooting high ISO is not for all situations. In fact, it should be avoided on digital sensors unless no other option exists. But for a slightly soft, grainy look, it can deliver acceptable results. Converting a high-ISO image to monochrome, though, never yields good results.


I've never liked photographing people. Why that is should be another story for another day (preferably, actually, not another day ever.) But working with people with whom I'm comfortable -- friends -- and who are comfortable around me has yielded some very nice photos.




Photoshop can help sometimes, too.


And be willing to accept a blurry photo can yield... results.




And it helps that bowling makes people happy.


And bowling brings out competition, strategizing, and intensity.


"You know who has two thumbs and just bowled a strike? THIS GUY!!!!"


Let's end this week on a happy note. Enjoy your Friday, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment