A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Mega Macros

I've been experimenting with mega macros lately. My goal is to achieve microscopy with my camera lenses. I had read that microscopy was defined as 10 times (10:1) the subject's actual size on the film plane. A college professor in Germany corrected me and said it's 50 times (50:1) the subject's actual size when recorded on film. So that's harder to do.

I had trouble exceeding 1:1 -- the minimum size for a macro. Anything less than life-size when reproduced on the film plane is simply a close-up. I began testing various lenses on my macro bellows and managed to get 2.5:1 magnification, though in a very useless manner as it was right in front of the 50mm lens (almost touching the element. My macro lens, which achieves 1:1, was much more useful. Mounting my 135mm lens on my bellows, I could get slightly larger than 1:1 and it was VERY useful with a nice distance from the subject, even at large magnifications.

I tried then to reverse-mount some lenses. I made a YouTube video about the experiment, even:

After I filmed the video, I picked up some step-down rings and was able to mount my 18-28mm lens, which provided EVEN Greater magnification. That technique yielded 5.75:1 magnification with just a reverse-mounted ultra-wide lens.

So I decided to reverse-mount my Canon FD 24mm 1:2.8 on my bellows and see what happens at full extension. This happens:

Tree bark at 25.4:1 magnification happens. That entire area is about 1.5 millimeters wide and 1 millimeter tall in real life.

Next stop -- 50:1 magnification or better.

No comments:

Post a Comment