A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Year in Photos -- Annual Wrap-up (7 of 7)

This photo should -- should -- have made the top 20. However, the lower left corner (this is hard to see at this resolution) from the driveway with the car vertically down the dark grass to the images bottom and all the way left exhibits what's called the 'jelly' effect. This is an example of digital cameras thinking and their thinking causing problems. The car is itself in perfect focus. My K-7 saw that car moving and decided that was what I wanted in focus, not the rest of the image. So it moved the sensor to track the car and the rest of the image looks a bit like jelly.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with this image. The sky exhibits some vertical gradation darkening indicative of too few sky images being taken. Vertical darker gradient lines in images stitched together from multiple shots indicate insufficient overlap between images. This manifests as dark lines because of color drop-off at the edge of images. All lenses vignette to some extent. In stitching an image together, great care should be exercised to avoid these darkened areas.




No comments:

Post a Comment