A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Dog Days with the Recesky DIY TLR

A month or so ago I picked up a couple of Recesky DIY TLRs. These are hardcore toy cameras with plastic bodies, very simple focusing mechanisms, and plastic lenses. The following videos show how to build the camera. After the videos, I'll share some photos from the first two rolls off the black-bodied Recesky.






The blue line is from something in the camera that's scratching the film emulsion. But, it's a plastic camera, so hopefully no one expects the results to be perfect. I like the color transmission in these photos. And the center detail is simply staggering. The edge softness creeps in pretty quickly, but it's less severe the closer you focus. At infinity, the edge softness is pretty extreme. With the closest focus, it's almost non-existent.


For portraits, this camera has some serious potential.


Even with light leaks and emulstion scratches, it's pretty great.


In black and white the camera exhibits impressive contrast transmission and excellent detail.


Infinity focus -- extreme edge softness.

No comments:

Post a Comment