A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Monday, November 4, 2013

Macro Abstracts

This semester I took an intro to photo class. I may have mentioned this before. My final project is going to be 10 abstract photos. The film shots are still at school, but here are the test shots I took with my DSLR. For this, I reverse-mounted a Nikon Series E 36-72mm zoom onto my Pentax K-7. This resulted in some fabulous image magnification. In fact, I did a video exploring different lenses for macro use. Here's that video:


I like the Series E 36-72 for reverse macros because the zoom allows some focus as well as a range of magnifications. However, though they did not show up on the digital images, on the film cameras I used for the project (Pentax H3V, Minolta SRT 102, and one other I'm blanking on right now) the lens showed three astigmatisms on each shot with lighting coming in from the upper left (such as the film versions of the next photo.)

Astigmatisms reveal themselves as two lines that don't touch arranged at a 90-degree angle. So tracing the lines paths reveals an intersection with a 90-degree angle, but the intersection itself is never directly visible. When I digitize the film photos, I'll share some with astigmatism lines.



How much of a macro is this? That's a a 6-24 screw.


That's an unfinished land development as seen from an airplane. Lots of boulevards and cul-de-sacs.


Actually, these two are both a leaf. Here the lighting shows leaf mold where the vein slipts off.

No comments:

Post a Comment