A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Pioneer, California, on Christmas Day

On Christmas day I took in Pioneer, California, with my girlfriend but didn't use the entire film roll. So I finished the roll on Friday 30 December 2011 in San Francisco. This roll was one of four I finished on 30 December with the Nikon F3. For the Christmas day shots, I used a Nikon 50mm f2 (yellow filter) and for the 30 December shots a Nikon 43-86mm f3.5 (red filter). The zoom lens is an interesting piece of gear and will, at some point, get its own post.

This post will focus on the Pioneer Christmas shots and a post later this week will discuss the 30 December shots. The photos below were all shot with Kodak Safety Film 5062. That's Pan-X 125 ISO. This film was produced in Kodak's Rochester plant in 1976 and sat in a bulk loader until a few weeks ago. Kodak produced their film with a code in the film name to track production. For that code, check out this link. The film has held up well, considering that I doubt ti had been refrigerated. In fact, I'm fairly certain it was stored in a garage and exposed to heat and cold cycles that are no friend to film. So the images are a bit foggy, but they retain their quality and contrast fairly well. I've included a couple shots below straight scanned and then a few with minor post processing to correct contrast issue, film fogging, and poor framing.


Christmas Day Redwood Sapling. This shot, straight out of the camera, was taken with a yellow filter. That resulted in the faux infrared look. The sapling had very light green leaves which, in visible light spectrum terms, were reflecting a lot of yellow light. Much of what we see as green is actually yellow light. So using a yellow filter caused the yellow light to lighten compared to the surrounding tones, causing the film to record the yellower areas as near-white.


This is the image run through Photoshop. I balanced the contrast and then used the magic wand to select the hyper-white areas as a single mask. I copied the areas and pasted them back on the image. I dropped the gamma to .4 and the layer transparency to 60%. After flattening, I did the same with one small remaining white area only with .2 gamma and -.009 offset followed by a 50% transparency. After a second flattening, I dropped the overall gamma to .73.


Redwood Sprig. This is new growth on an old redwood. Similar postprocessing as above, but less intense. Same effect as above, with the yellow filter, but somewhat lost during postprocessing.


Here's the final image I'll share in this post, some empty chairs and a table. The property we stayed at had numerous benches, tables, and such scattered about the acreage. The owners must enjoy relaxing in nature's spaces with many of the garden and outdoor areas well suited for peaceful evenings with friends and warm drinks.

Lessons learned this roll: Yellow filters can produce faux-infrared effects under certain conditions and expired film remains usable for monochrome, but requires more postprocessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment