A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

SOMA, near The Mission and Hayes Valley

The office closed early December 30th for the holiday, so I took the opportunity to walk down to the Hayes Valley/civic Center/Mission area to get some photos. I had my Nikon F3 and the 43-86mm f3.5 zoom lens.



A motorcycle. This required some extra gamma adjustment to balance the contrast. The F3's batteries were low and many of the shots taken on the 30th were either slightly over- or underexposed.


It's like a Rorschach test.


A griffin face on a griffin statue. 8th and Townsend. Postprocessed to increase gamma and contrast.


This is a second capture at f16, straight outta the camera. The above was wide open, and you can note the resolution differences between them, especially around the edges.


The griffin statue, a profile. Processed to increase shadows within the statue.

No comments:

Post a Comment