A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

SRT in SOMA

I picked up my Minolta ART 102 for a song on eBay along with a bunch of other camera bodies listed as 'broken.' The SRT works great, mechanically, but the light meter is dead. This may be repairable, or not, but I'm not one to mess with electronics (though arguably I couldn't make it worse...) But I also don't feel a huge need to repair it as the SRT returned more well balanced photos than any of my other meterless cameras. So last Tuesday I put the kit 50mm Rokkor-PF lens on and loaded some Foma 100 ISO film and took it around SOMA. For a filter, I used a circular polarized light filter to darken the sky and allow the clouds and buildings to stand out a bit.


Hanging flower sifter. For post-processing, I dropped the gamma and raised the offset in the white areas to reduce the amount of white burn. I should have taken more photos of this thing as I don't care much for this angle, but suspect that as a subject the flour sifter could be interesting being that it's comprised of multiple curious and difficult shapes.


A beater attachment. Shooting through windows presents a challenge and this shot exemplifies a bad example of that challenge being failed at. Windows prevent photographers from getting the best angle and I think that getting closer to and more below the beater would have improved the shot.


I tried to make the five red stars stand out, but failed. Instead, I managed to capture some interesting light play within the glass brick. For post-processing, I overlaid the image on itself, dropped the gamma on layer 2 to about .6, and then made the transparency about 40%, this exaggerating the contrast within the brick. That said, the contrasts were already there and visually interesting.


I see you -- a security camera hidden in an old light housing.


I admit I don't get it. Though I suppose that this would make it hard to mistake one's car for another red Firebird. Maybe it's also an experiment in drag and how to optimally detriment a car's gas mileage and wild resistance. Not a great shot, but an interesting street sight.


I had this feeling my whole walk that I wasn't taking great shots, so I headed over to AT&T Park. There is no bad angle for photographing the Willie Mays statue, so I tried a new one and a new focus -- his right hand. But I also had a deep enough DoF to keep most of the statue in focus.


In keeping with my promise to share my failures, too, this is from another statue (I forget who it depicts.) I wanted to get his hand but for some reason focused on his wrist. The background is as intended, and the contrast on the hand and ball as hoped, but the framing is terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment