A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Shipspotting

I took the FTN out last Tuesday to see if it had bad light seals or the roll of film I'd previously used in it had a flaw. This camera needs new light seals, and I have to order the material for that this week. It may be a fun how-to blog to share the repair process for that.

For added contrast, I used a red filter. That darkened the sky and lightened all the reds. The results weren't too shabby.


1/1000th at f22. Darkened the sky a bit with the gamma function. The best shot from this roll, I think.


1/1000th at f22. It would have been great had the bird been facing me, but regardless there's not tons to be mad about here. I cloned the left side and dropped it on the right. This preserved the original image and repaired damage caused by the light leak.


1/1000th at f22. Darkened the sky a bit to correct some over-exposure. There's a horizontal line going across the image, a bit wavy. I left it in. That's a stratline and results from dirt in the film cassette felt or a burr on the camera body where the film crosses, among other causes. Those causes both result in perfectly straight stratlines, though. I'm not sure what caused this as I didn't touch the negative until after it dried. And at that, didn't touch the emulsion. If it happens again, it will warrant further investigation.


1/500th f11. A different kind of bird.


1/1000th, f22. Very grainy. The developer was, I think, past its usable lifespan.


1/500th, f16. Here you can see mild damage caused by the light leak. On many images, this was substantially worse.


1/250th, f22. Another image damaged by light leak, so I had to again clone the left side and put it on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment