A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sometimes a Jewel

I believe that the Balda Juwella is the oldest camera I own and have ever owned. Made in the early 1930s, I believe, this camera shoots 6X9 negatives -- 6 centimeters by 9 centimeters. Compared to standard 35mm negatives, these are huge. Since the film is basically the same, this allows for greater image quality in similarly-sized prints or much larger enlargements. Part of the issue with this film may have been that it expired in 1989, making its use difficult to predict and the results possibly tenuous. The undeveloped spaces between the negatives exhibited flecking and indicated that the negative film was not perfectly clear. So that could contribute, also, to the film being overexposed. OF eight shots, four were scannable. They are shared below.


I forgot my notebook last Monday, so I don't recall all the settings, but this was f32, and a long exposure with the shutter set to bulb. It was approximately 1.5 seconds or so. For stability, I set it on a trashcan across the street. A lady stopped to ask me about my camera while I took this shot, and explain to her son how cameras used to work. It was neat and I enjoy it when people ask about my gear. So that was fun.

I'm not sure what the white blob is, but I suspect a static discharge. It could also be flare or a film flaw.


Houseboats in Mission Creek. f22 or f32.


A bike rack. Handheld at f11 or f16.


1/25th of a second exposure, resting on the sidewalk. I'd hoped to get the whole train but hit the shutter too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment