A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Monday, June 4, 2012

My First Rolls with an N80 (Part 2 of 2)

Continuing from yesterday, after walking the long quay at Fisherman's wharf, I strolled up to Fort Mason. There's a statue of there of Congressman Phillip Burton that I wanted to photograph. From the quay, there's a path up a hill along the water. Part of this blog's job is to share interesting things as well as attractive or interesting photos. So here's one of the interesting things along the way: A wind pole.

At the wind pole's base is this sign explaining what it is. When one looks up it, this is what one sees:


I took two other shots, but this is the most dramatic. A second or two earlier, ans I could have caught many of the arrows pointing in completely different directions. Watching it for a few minutes, the arrows moved periodically in patterns, moved into sinusoidal waves by air currents moving off the ocean and into the hills.


This images was actually taken a bit earlier, by maybe three minutes, so it's out of order. Oh well.


Also an out-of-order image, this was captured with a similar technique to the monochrome version I shared yesterday. What's going to be interesting is the next image. Both were taken at different apertures. I believe this was around f38 (the smallest aperture of any lens I've ever used) and the next was around f16.


The most obvious difference is the blue cast. I know I've made this promise before, but at some point I will actually write a blog about why that happens -- or at least why I think that happens.

And thus I ended up at the statue of Congressman Philip Burton. One of my goals on this walk was to do a study of this statue and I captures somewhere north of 20 images. I found the sculpture's hands fascinating and very lifelike. Also, the interplay between the hands and face -- specifically through the pose. This statue is forever in debate or speech-giving. It is a great statue and an asset to San Francisco's art community. So the remaining pictures will be a study of this statue.













No comments:

Post a Comment