A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

SRT on the Docks

I took my Minolta SRT 102 and the Tamron 28-70 north of the Ferry Building, an area I've never walked to before. No sinister reason, but why walk when there are antique trolleys?



1/60th, f6.3


1/125th, f11
From a technical perspective, the first image is clearly the better. However, I like the drama that the second image, with its non-vertical verticals and dark sky, creates. The first image nicely frames away the neighboring buildings, focusing just on that one apartment complex. The second image includes hints of the neighborhood. I admit I like the framing on the first image better.



1/125th, f11


1/60th, f11
After taking some shots of the building, as practice for the portfolio I'm developing, I wandered around. I love the old Milan trolleys, two photos above, for their look, but not so much for their noise. If you've never ridden one, it's like riding inside the acoustic equivalent of a rock tumbler -- it's loud. But they also have the nicest interiors of San Francisco's classic trolleys -- wood and large windows. This dock was where I finished my roll. The above shot includes some additional photo processing besides contrast balance to correct for scanner flatness and sharpening. The deck had some gamma reduction to enhance the grain.


1/30th, f22.
I was lucky with this shot. The dock was extremely windy and many of my shots at 1/60th turned out too blurry to use on this blog. However, this shot turned out decently well despite the slow shutter speed and high wind. This is downtown San Francisco with Embarcadero Center in the middle (the tall, dark building and two similarly-shaped buildings to its right) and a bunch of other buildings I don't know the name of.

No comments:

Post a Comment