A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Friday, August 16, 2013

Saturday Special -- Byodo-In Temple, Hawaii

When I wrote this week's preview post, I forgot about yesterday's Found Photos Friday. So my digital shots from Byodo-In Temple near Kaneohe, Hawaii, had to be pushed back 24 hours. In a couple of weeks or less, I'll have the day's film shots. I also brought my K1000 to Byodo-In.


The temple itself.


I thought this was a super-great, original, creative, and unique photo. Then I looked up the temple on Panoramio (I'm quite active on Panoramio with almost 1,000 photos accepted in Google Earth as of this post's writing) and like eight other people had taken basically this same photo. And mine isn't even the best.





Behind the temple is a small bamboo patch. When I was there the wind knocked the bamboo together and it sounded like being inside an out-of-tune marimba. All around the bamboo shoots struck against each other and each time struck two notes. Sometimes they made a chord and other times they made dissonance. Mostly, though, it was a very peaceful setting (except for the mosquitoes.)


A small shrine by a pond


A small out building by a waterfall


Spitting frog statue


Carp and a waterfall and a long exposure. Shots like this made me glad I brought my tripod.


True story-- One of the temple's care takers asked me if I was using my photos for personal use (I have some gear that looks professional-grade.) I replied that I was and had no commercial intentions. Which is true; none of these photos are on my website. She let me be and later was the person who invited me to partake in the tea ceremony.


Lighting incense


Look, the bird and fish feed was a dollar. Of course I'm going to feed the birds and fishes. Their gentleness surprised me a lot. Not a one of them even brushed my fingers with its beak. I had expected to get a few pinches.


Tea ceremony -- washing the cup


Tea ceremony -- washing the brush


Tea Ceremony -- folding the napkin


Tea Ceremony -- the brush


And on a last note, just a reminder that Luch hearts Shelly. I have no idea who these people are.

No comments:

Post a Comment