A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Agony of an Almost-usable Shot

This is a heart-breaking shot. I took this from a pedestrian bridge by Petco Park and this is a 98% perfect shot. Check out the lower-left corner.


Yeah, you see it now and you can't un-see it and the photos probably ruined for you, too. That's a blurry corner because someone happened to be running past me as I took a photo, and I didn't realize it.That corner and the two images around it were unforgivably motion-blurred. It was as though The Thing were running behind me. I cropped out as much as I could, but as you can see, three bad photos ruined a collage made from twenty-five otherwise fine images.

Had I been using a tripod -- same result. This was avoidable only had I been paying attention to my surroundings and noticed that the bridge was shaking too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment