A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Bridge Study

For fun, I decided to use this entire roll (almost) on the 4th Street Bridge in SOMA. I've photographed this bridge before with good results, but wanted to try some new perspectives.


1/125th, f11. I've seen this exact scene a number of times. I'll try and capture it again when I don't have to brighten the shadows to get detail. This is a very sweet rotty that belongs to, I think, a homeless man. Many days he gets lunch here and the dog sits and watches for him while he orders.


1/125th, f2. Bolts. I own three copies of this lens. This was my first outing with this one. My original copy causes bokeh swirling wide open. This one does not. Odd.


1/125th, f5.6.


1/1000th, f22. This bridge is much less imposing and impressive than the 3rd Street Bridge. Also, it is less of an intriguing design. But it presents a number of interesting angles and shapes nonetheless.


1.250th, f16. Those white blobs are actually gray, and appear not too different than the surrounding dark gray. Some quality of the paint must make them appear orange to film. The organge filter lightened them disproportionately to the rest of the image.


1/1000th, f22.


1/1000th, f5.6.


1/1000th, f4.

No comments:

Post a Comment