A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Flowers on Ferrania

The K2, the highest-end in the K lineup, is a great camera. In fact, I have two of them and plan to keep them both for a long time. The K2 is exceedingly enjoyable to use. A lot of people think that the ISO adjustment on this camera is wonky, being a ring under the lens mount. I think it's genius and is both out of the way and in a place where it won't be accidentally changed. The Nikkormat FTN has a similar placement but much more difficult changing procedure. I digress. The K2 is a great camera. The Sigma 50mm Macro is a great lens. Ferrania 100 ISO film is a great film. However, in concert, they aren't so wonderful.

Ferrania was a lovely film. Was because the last roll was made in 2009 and there's an ever-shrinking supply left in the world. The film renders colors with extreme saturation but very muted tones. So the rendition is not exact to life, but is very interesting. This also makes it more difficult to shoot as it has less shadow susceptibility than other films.

One note, I forgot my notebook all last week. Therefore, I don't have any exposure notes on these.


Extreme colors, but muted shades. These little flowers were up against some gray rocks which rendered blue on the film. So, not perfectly true to life, but this result is better than true-to-life would have been. I also used the unsharp mask at a 10-pixel radius, 30% pressure to correct for the flowers movement in the breeze.


This has some scanner noise. Also, unsharp mask at similar settings to above.


Straight off the scan. I like how this plant's leaves look like barcodes in dying.


Unfortunately, the wind was moving this flower and as I clicked the shutter the wind moved it away from the camera, taking the flower out of the focal plane. Stupid wind.


Uh oh! Someone has a light leak. Yeah, this camera's seals need to be replaced. But it doesn't seem to manifest so badly on monochrome film.

No comments:

Post a Comment