A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

College Town with an FA Limited Lens

Were I to do my life over again, I might try to get into UC Davis. What a nice college town it has. I would still go to SIUC for my undergrad, but I might go for the left coast for grad school next time.

I had the chance to walk around Davis for 45 minutes before meeting friends for dinner the other weekend. I brought my K-7 and my brand new, previously unused 31mm FA Limited 1:1.8 lens. This lens resolves at up to 2,400 lines per millimeter. That's kind of amazing.

Here are some shots from that walk.

1

City Hall. I stitched this together from about a dozen shots.

2

A building. 

3

Here's the train depot, which is nice and feels very much like a remote-city train depot. It certainly beats the one we had in Carbondale.

4

A statue called The Joggers. There's a girl, too, but I only had time for one shot.

5

One of the last photos I took, metered off the lights on the tree. Photographer's tip: low-key photos hide the dust on your sensor.

6

A fancy, but dirty, newel post.

7

Another night shot. Hand-held using a tree to steady myself. I like the shot, but I wish that car hadn't been there.

8

Davis has a very good street art scene. I dig it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment