A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Video: Polaroid SX-70 Model 2 and Sonar One-touch



In 1972 Polaroid introduced the SX-70 Land Camera -- the first instant film camera that simplified instant developing and kept the developer in the film instead of on peoples' hands. A modern favorite of hipster and retro enthusiasts, the Polaroid captures something most film cameras cannot -- that moment when people see a photo they just took develop, that moment when people bond over a recently-taken image as it materializes.

Capable of great artistic manipulation, the gelatin-based SX-70 film also opened creative techniques unique to this camera's film technology.

Some references:

An 11-minute video explaining how the SX-70 works.

How to modify your SX-70 for electronic flashes. Do this at your own risk. I'm neither vouching for nor condoning the information or process on this page.

Camerapedia is a great place to find great sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment