A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Lime Ridge: Cellular Landscapes

I like to set photographic goals for myself. This, for fun and challenge, gives me something to strive for. My goal preference tends toward the attainable: subjects, quality, and personal improvement; away from the unattainable: awards, contests, or gallery openings. Last year I explored sculptural and architectural photography. This year I'll continue to do so, yes, but will also expand into more natural photography. On my hikes this week I've pondered this a lot. So, here are my goals for this year:

1- Photograph a golden eagle, mule deer, rattlesnake, bobcat, coyote, and (optional) tarantula all in their natural environment.

I managed the golden eagle right off the bat, but I had been cogitating that goal for a few days prior. I will, hopefully, get to photograph it again and get a better shot. Spoiler for next week's blogs: The mule deer is off the list, too.

2- Get a worthwhile astronomical photo.

Last year I managed a few star trails. One of them was okay, but none made my top 20. One would have, I think, had I known what I was doing and gotten solid trails instead of dotted lines. So for this goal, I'm hoping to obtain a good star trails photo and a good long-exposure star-tracking photo. Other options include the comet that's about to become visible, the comet that will be very bright in the fall, and the Leonids or another meteor shower.

3- Learn how to take an HDR photo.

I don't think much of over-slidered HDR images. You know the ones that I'm talking about that look like paintings and, if real, would make you throw up in your mouth a little. But, an HDR photo can be a good tool to balance high-contrast scenes.

4- Become very familiar with my 4X5 camera and take at least one very good photo with it.

This is going to be the hardest.

So, in the interim, while I work on these goals. Here are some photos from about a week ago that I took with my Galaxy S3. I managed two hikes on March 13 -- sunrise and sunset. Both were about two hours. Here are some photos from each.

HEY! Did you know you can find where many of my photos were taken by visiting Panoramio? So if you see a shot you'd like to improve on or replicate, or just an area that seems photogenic, you may be able to find the exact location ON THIS MAP.

1

Sunrise in Lime Ridge

2

Sunrise and Hill

3

Walnut Creek

4

Sunset After Mule Deer

No comments:

Post a Comment