A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Found Photos Friday: Castles

It's time for another Found Photos Friday! This box of Europe photos I got at an estate sale for $1 back in January has just been the gift that keeps giving fantastic and interesting photos. It's been hard, though, too, knowing that the people in them are probably all dead and that these photos represent something lost -- the people, the era, and the settings themselves. Sure, Carcasonne castle is probably unchanged, but I found both of these Irish locations on Google Earth and used Street View to see that they look MUCH different now. No permanence exists except the certainty for change. Does that mean, however, that we should not look back upon what we had, mourn for what we lost, and ask why it had to happen that way? To refuse a backward glance is to refuse a forward look and an opportunity to improve.


Baily Lighthouse, County Dublin, Ireland. From the mid-1950s above, and today, below.



View Larger Map


Bunratty Castle, County Clare, Ireland. From the mid 1950s, above, and today, below.



View Larger Map



Carcasonne Castle, France, mid-1950s.


You may recall her from the Paris photos last week.








I suspect this is the same kid who was much shorter and younger in the Grand Canyon photos from two weeks ago. These photos and the Grand Canyon shots were separate by six years, I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment