A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Blue Filter, Happy Results

MY Sigma 35-80 is definitely my most versatile Pentax lens, my favorite lens, and definitely in my top five lenses. My main goal for this shoot was to test how the Ilford P4 responds to a blue filter. Monday we saw the results with a CPL. Yesterday, a yellow filter. Yesterdays images were above average for a single-days run. The yellow filter certainly contributed to that. The blue filter reduced contrast on this shoot because the evening light was at the peak-blue time right before the sun began turning everything red. But some of the results came back nicely anyhow, especially the Millennium Tower shot.


1/250th, f4. Locks. I wonder what it means?


1/125th, f22. Millennium Tower. So this image is somewhat of a success. The main question is why? First, you may need to know what Millennium Tower looks like. Check that out here. Blue glass drapes the tower. A blue filter will lighten blue colors. Millennium Tower's blue curtain is already light blue, so the Tiffen 80A blue filter will further lighten it on monochrome film. The reflection on the lower left corner made that area of the tower less blue, darkening it on the final image.


1/60th, f4. One of my favorite sculptures in The City, this is an incredibly detailed tribute to the working man. I love that it's also in the middle of the financial district.


1/60th, f4.


1/30th, f4.

No comments:

Post a Comment