A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Year In Photos -- Week Sixteen

This week I got three rolls of film back from the processors that I had expected for last week, so this should be a photo-packed week. That's fortunate since one of the cameras I'd planned to use last week broke and another I didn't get out to shoot with due to work deadlines. So without delay, let's see what this week has in store.











This week I'm hoping to have some creative, new shots to share, too. Having gotten my K-7 back from being repaired, this week I decided to use it, but not just for shots like the first three above. Instead, I'll be taking some infrared photographs, too. That involves placing a visible-light cut-filter over the lens, making focusing somewhat difficult as it removes all visible light from the viewfinder. Also, it requires exposures of around 20-30 seconds, which means a tripod. So that could be exciting. Here's an example of an infrared shot I took last year with the same technique.



Monday: Pentax K-7 (9788270), Samyang 18-28 (211773), and an IR 720 filter. most if not all digital cameras can shoot infrared photography with no modification. Some are better than others. The K-7 happens to be pretty good.

Tuesday: Nikon N70 (2314287), Nikon 24-120mm (343019), Kodak Plus-X 125 ISO, and a red filter.

Wednesday: Pentax Spotmatic SPII (5012707), Mamiya/Sekor 55mm (87084), Agfa 100 ISO, and a UV filter. This is a new camera to me. My girlfriend's father gave it to me as a thank you for scanning about 5,000 slides he's taken over his life. Obviously, I didn't undertake the scanning project for two cameras and two lenses.

Thursday: Canon AE-1 (4120937), Canon FD 50mm (4229124), Ilford P4 400, and a Nikkor Y48 filter. I need another FD lens badly or I'm going to quickly not be able to use this camera any more. OH NO!

Friday: Pentax K2 (7084574), Tokina 35-70 (8804232), Adox CHM 400 PRO, and a Nikkor red filter. This is my black-body K2. My chrome-body needs repairs (the mirror is locked up with the shutter open.) So now that my taxes are paid (yay!), I can get to the business of fixing a half-dozen cameras that I want to get back into rotation on this blog. This lens was also part of the package for the slide scanning. I've used it on my K-7, including a few shots I've shared and will share this week. However, on a digital camera is causes substantial purple fringing, an image quality issue unique to digital cameras and the way digital sensors see light differently than film. But being an AF lens, the focusing bit is very thin and hard to focus. That said, I'm still excited to see how this lens performs with film.

No comments:

Post a Comment