A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

A Year In Photos -- Week Fifteen

Well, this week saw a number of changes in plans. And this week's posts will be interesting because of the five rolls of film I took last week, I only finished three. Of those three, all had to be developed by a local lab. That lab hasn't finished any of the film I dropped off, so I have nothing to scan and post about yet. Normally -- I'm pulling back the curtain here -- I write all of the week's posts on Sunday afternoon and then set them up to go out at the same time every day. This week, since nothing's been scanned, I don't yet know what this week's images will be. So I have no images to foreshadow this week's posts.

Also, I tried -- TRIED -- to use the 60-year-old Agfa film in the F3. It shattered. Not the F3, the film. I have part of the roll left, but may not have a camera that can use it. So that experiment may be a resounding failure. Fortunately, I was near a Walgreens when I realized I had a problem and picked up some Walgreens color film. I haven't gotten that back from the processor, either.

But I had a backup plan and have some photos from that -- a pinhole camera experiment. So tonight we'll look at some photos from a camera made, by me, from a 35mm film case, some electricians taps, and some photo paper.

In the interim, here are the camera lineups I have for you this coming week:

Monday:Kodak Pony 828 (572675) and Ilford PANF 50 ISO. THis is a new camera to me this week. Kodak made 35mm and 828 Pony cameras. This uses 828 film. 828 is 35mm film without perforations on a roll like 120 film. So my images will include the peforations on them, which could be neat. Using this presents a few challenges because I had to respool 35mm film onto paper, and that's always a challenge. But, I'm optimistic that this will return good, or at least interesting, results.

Tuesday: Kodak Retina Ia (605864) and Agfa 100 ISO. This will be the little 1A's first outing this year and may be the first time I'd run monochrome film through it. I'll also take the Contina from last week out to try and finish that roll.

Wednesday: Kodak Retina IIa (EK624702) and Foma 100 ISO film. Kodak did not make, in my view, a lot of great cameras. They made a lot of cameras, great film, great paper, and created modern photography, but they did not specialize in top-tier equipment. The Retina line from the 1950s stands out from that because they are great cameras. So, why not use both of my retinas this week? I'll also take the SRT 102 and try to finish that roll.

Thursday: Pentax Spotmatic SP 1000 (5815145) and Vivitar 135mm (28225187) with a yellow filter and Adox 400 CHM PRO.

Friday: Voigtlander Perkeo I (3645721) and Ilford HP5 400 ISO. This is a VERY fast film for this camera, so we'll see how this goes.

In addition, I have to take my K-7 into work every day because I have an assignment to photograph one of our sites, but I haven't been told which day. So next week should have no shortage of photographs. In the interim, here are a few I know I'll share with you this week.

1


2


3

No comments:

Post a Comment