A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Best Ilford 50 Results Yet

I feel that I've finally learned how to shoot Ilford PanF 50 ISO with a reasonable level of proficiency. To set this film up for success means photographing subjects with low contrast and using no filters on the lens. Also, using a lens capable of providing this film with suitable image quality will provide substantially improved results.


1/60th, f3.5. This shot, taken inside a parking garage looking out through an art deco window, presents a nice, geometric design.


1/15th, f22. This building looks good from every angle. This shot would have been better had it been perfectly vertical. Part of the challenge of using a minimalist equipment approach is that it results in some imperfect results, on occasion.


1/2, f22. My focus was a bit off, but the overall composition is okay. Bit freaky looking, though.


1/8th, f22. A great example of how a scene that looks like it may be an interesting photo can actually be a very boring photo. This is a purple wall and the angled shadow slicing across it looked like a potentially nice shot. The result: Boring.


1/4, f22. An example of a shot that I thought would be fairly boring, but that turned out decently. Ivy growing on a wall. Reasonable contrast and detail with enough abstraction to make the subject modestly mysterious.

There were not a lot of other things in the City that day the jumped out as good subjects, so I got home with about a half roll left. I used it to grab some shots of my dogs. Before that, I switched to my Samyang 18-28mm lens and slapped on a sun shade.





No comments:

Post a Comment