A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

K-7 Building Photographs, Day Three of Three


Stitched together from four photos. A basic photomerge just to increase image size and resolution slightly. Cropped to cut out a fence and port-a-john.


Stitched together from 34 or so photos taken at 50mm from across the street. Main problems include the horizon sloping dramatically upwards to the right, a trade-off for the building being vertical. Also keystoned to reduce the amount the building swoops away from the camera.

The building looks good in terms of color balance, and the sky here is fabulous, but ultimately this photo suffers from other technical issues which make it an unsuccessful photo. Namely, the street moving upward and the barricades around the building. Photographing buildings in a construction zone is difficult, yes. In fact, it shouldn't be done for any sort of high-quality purposes. Additionally, the building isn't actually vertical, but to make it vertical would make the road appear to be steeply uphill and the white building on the side to be falling over.

There may be a way to correct that in Photoshop, but if so I couldn't find it.

For the sky, I copied the sky with a wand mask and re-pasted it. Then I dropped the gamma to about .1 or .2 and made the transparency 50%. So that had a nice effect.

This day's photos reiterate my point from Monday: A photo captured badly in the camera can't be made great with editing and processing. So the whole point of that to you who take photographs is: get as much right in the camera as possible. For you who enjoy seeing photographs, there's a lot of effort in capturing a good shot well before it's processed and well before you see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment