A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

More Disappointing Results this Week

Last week I tested a new camera to me, a Pentax SF10. Not a great camera by any means. This is an example of how Pentax engineers sometimes really, really miss the mark with a camera. It presents limited controls, counter-intuitive settings, and is particularly noisy in every operation. The winding motor sounds like a bus. Not a great camera. And another problem, the camera only rewound eight shots, then jammed. Back at the office I used my coat as an impromptu light bag to release the film, but it failed and 16 shots were unusably foggy. I have some farmer's reducer to mix in the future, so I may try and reduce these negatives (along with some others) to see if they can be saved. In the interim, here are some shots that weren't ruined.


1/125th, f5.6. Carpe Diem. Not sure why there's a bird involved.


1/250th, f8. Yup. Another Bay Bridge photo.


1 second, f32. After the K2's decent water breaking on rocks results, I decided to try and repeat the performance with the SF20. This camera's results were significantly less worthwhile, though. The shutter bangs around in this like a toddler with drying pans. I submit that even with a decent tripod there would be unacceptable camera shake on long exposure shots with this camera.


1 second, f32. A better result.

No comments:

Post a Comment