A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Chicago's DuSable Bridge

Michigan Avenue in Chicago crosses the Chicago River on a bascule bridge named the DuSable Bridge. I forget if the bridge was dedicated in 1971, or just the artwork on the ends. Either way, here are some photos. These first four are of the reliefs on each pillar of the bridge. They're quite detailed and intricate. Worth looking at if you have the chance. They also have brief inscriptions detailing how the relief represent's Chicago's history. I'm not 10% sold on the histories being entirely accurate, so I didn't take any pictures of the inscriptions nor do the research required to re-tell these stories.










Jean Baptiste Point du Sable founded Chicago. The title founder stems from him being the first permanent resident of what later became Chicago. He beat the second permanent resident by a few months. No images survived of du Sable, and in his time -- the late 18th century -- he may never have had a portrait painted. So what he looked like is almost completely unknown, except that a poem of the time described him as handsome.

This bust of du Sable is on the northeast side of the DuSable bridge, and is a new addition since the last time I walked this bridge in April 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment