A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Monday, May 28, 2012

The K2 Can, too!

Pentax's K line originally had four models -- the most film models the K line ever had. The K1000, KM, KX, and K2. Let me sidebar here for a minute and talk directly to Pentax. Pentax, who picks your names for you? They're so hard to follow! Why is the K-5 better than my K-7? What is there a K-x DSLR when there was already a KX back in the 70s? Why suddenly jump to the K-30? The K-8 trough K-29 were never released. Nikon has the right idea. D1. D2. D3. D4. That's a brilliant pattern, Pentax.

Okay, through that, the K2 was the top of the Pentax K film body line, but, I believe, the shortest-lived. The light meter in it is great -- as good as the Nikon F3 in my eyes. Also, the usability is simply and photographer-oriented. The whole K line is brilliant, but the K2 was a great flagship. So I always look forward to taking one of my K2s out. This week I took the black bodied K2 out (my chrome K2 is finally being repaired for it's stuck mirror and should be ready for use again as early as next week.) For those of you with broken or neglected Pentax film SLRs who want to get them fixed, I used www.pentaxs.com . Great service quality and turn-around time. He fixed my H3V and brought it back from unusable. I'm excited and hope to get through all my Pentax cameras with them because, with as much as they get used, new light seals and general cleaning will help a lot.

Anyway, I took my black K2 and my Samyang 18-28 back to the Trans America pyramid. Last time I used the Samyang was on the KX and was at Trans America. However, this time I focused on the park next to the building instead of the building.


















2 comments:

  1. Nikon has only recently figured out their numbering. When they first started it went something like:

    D80-D90-D7000....
    D70-D50< D5000..........
    D40-D60-<
    D3000...
    They are going backwards again with the FX line if the D600 is made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I wasn't as aware of Nikon's prosumer and entry-level cameras, so I didn't think about their numbering system. It seems a numbering system should be a simple thing, but even looking back at most camera makers through they years there's often no immediately understandable logic.

      Delete