A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Old Chicago, Part I

My girlfriend's father lived in Chicago from 1971 to 1973. I grew up in Chicago and recognized many of the places in his slides, though not the exact skyline. On her and my vacation to Chicago the other week, we re-traced two of his rolls of film to re capture some images he had taken as they would be seen now. We managed to recapture three images on Saturday, which this blog shares. The Monday images will be in a later blog, after I finish post-processing them.




This is the Standard Oil Building framed by an eagle statue's wings. This view of Chicago's skyline isn't as dramatically changed as some of the other images my girlfriend's father took. Many of the most dramatic images we couldn't capture because of rain, though.




Near the previous shot, I couldn't line my replication up perfectly because a truck was parked where I needed to be.




Daley Center, Christmas and not Christmas. Where the original was take, there's now a fountain, so I did the best I could. That means I waded into the fountain. Just kidding. I didn't. Or did I?

No comments:

Post a Comment