A Year in Photos

Photography, fiction, and personal essays form my three primary creative outlets. For this blog's first 18 months, I used it primarily for photography. As I've returned to creative writing, I'll use this blog for fiction, too. Sometimes, when reality needs to be discussed more than truth, I write personal essays.

This blog will continue to showcase as many above-average photos as I can muster. Hopefully my written work will be as good or better than the visual. Whichever drew you here -- photographs or fiction, I hope you enjoy both.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

A Year in Photos -- Week Nineteen

Well, this was supposed to be the week the blog comes back from vacation, and in large it will be. However, due to a critical work-related deadline, it's going to be hard to put as much in the blog over the next two weeks as normal, so some days may simply be a single photo again -- my fallback when work keeps me too busy to blog. That said, we do have one exciting and extensive post coming this week, a look at how aperture affect contrast on images. With my SRT 102, I captured five shots of the same subject with different aperture and shutter settings. The affect is noticeable, though not huge, that the different setting change contrast. We'll look at why that is. But let's take a look at some of what this week has in store. As for this week, I'll take a camera each day, but with work, I may not be able to use it. That said, I picked up a new camera last week in Milwaukee. I happened into a consignment store because there were a bunch of cameras in the window. I was about to but a Voigtlander Brilliant TLR and a Pentax KX body when the owner said she had an old 6X6. So I checked it out and it was a Pentax 6X7 with the 55mm 1:3.5, 105mm 1:2.4 and 200mm 1:4 lenses. So I bought it. My goal this year was to acquire one of these cameras, in this order of preference: Pentax 67, Pentax MZ-S, and Pentax LX. The other two will wait till next year. If I go back in October, I'll see if that Brilliant is still there. So this week, I'll take out the Pentax 6X7 with either the 55mm or 105mm lens. The 55mm lens works about like a 35mm format 28mm lens. The 105 works about like a 49mm lens. As for film, that I'll determine each morning. Right now it's loaded with Lucky brand 100 ISO. Or maybe ShangHai brand. either way, I think it's the same film with different labels.

No comments:

Post a Comment